Sunday, April 15, 2012

Renting a Car in Vegas--Something to Think About...

We just rented a car this past weekend and enjoyed the savings of not having to pay for cabs and the convenience of being able to go downtown or to red rock canyon whenever we wanted. However, we did not enjoy the 30 minutes it took to get on the rental car shuttle, and then the 10 minutes it took to ride to the rental car place, and then the 15 minutes it took to get our car. In short, I found the rental car system at the airport to be one of the most inefficient systems I%26#39;ve ever seen. I understand that due to she sheer volume of rental cars at issue, that Vegas cannot necessarily have the same setup as other major airports. But, just be prepared for this hassle if you rent a car from the airport.



Renting a Car in Vegas--Something to Think About...


I think it varies a lot so your experience may not be the same as others experience. We have rented a car 5 times this past year in Vegas. When they switched to this system with the rental car center, I found it much quicker than they had before.





4 out of 5 times we were on the shuttle and to our car in less than a half hour total time. Maybe next time you%26#39;ll have better luck.



Renting a Car in Vegas--Something to Think About...


Sorry, that wasn%26#39;t my experience. We were on a shuttle in minutes (and it would have been faster if people had followed instructions and weren%26#39;t shoving their way in front). Using the rental car loyalty program, I was able to checkin with no wait in line and then was off to the car. The longest part was having to debate which one to take! I don%26#39;t know if it%26#39;s fair to judge the setup when you are renting on one of the busiest holiday weekends.




I think it all depends on how busy the airport is when you arrive, and how many of those people are going to the Rental Car center...and of course that%26#39;s something not easy to predict!!





I rent every time, and have always arrived in the morning....and able to hop immediately on the bus with no problems or wait. For the first time this Friday though, I%26#39;ll be arriving at night. I%26#39;m wondering how things will be, and crossing my fingers they will go as smoothly as they always have.





Even if I have to wait a bit, IMO it%26#39;s still so worth it to have a car and the freedom it brings for the entire trip!! =)




We arrived after 8pm on a Tuesday and had *NO* wait to get on the shuttle. We had to wait in line at Dollar (only behind one other person) and then off to the car. The whole ordeal only took maybe 10-15 minutes from when we left baggage claim.





I have since joined Dollar Express, so it should be faster when we return in January.




You could always cab it to your hotel and pick up the car there.




i found the rental car in vegas is basically useless unless you plan to leave the strip fairly often.. the overall price of the car was probably higher than what i wouldve spent total on cabs.. although, i will admit, wasting a half hour at a car rental sure beats wiating a half hour in cab lines every time you need to move..





then again, i was there memorial day weekedn so that may have also been part of it




I read this post and was at first taken aback. I was thinking, what do you expect? You come to one of the busiest airports in the US you should expect congestion.





However, after rereading I think the OP is just trying to warn people it is likely to take some time to get out of the airport. For those not used to Vegas or mega airports I think this is useful information.





After you get off your plane you have to take a tram to the terminal. That takes a few minutes. Baggage claim is often chaotic and slow.





Whether you take a taxi, shuttle or rental car you are likely to wait in line to get where you are going.





I plan an hour from the time the plane lands to get out of the airport in any large city with checked luggage. At least 1/2 hour even without checked luggage. Sometimes an hour is not even enough.





This is not a knock on LAS. It is super busy. Any system can only handle so many people. I first went to Vegas in the early 90%26#39;s and I have seen many, many improvements at LAS in 15 years. They can only do so much.





I believe LAS is more efficient than most huge US airports.





I have a suggestion for anyone who uses ease of getting out of the airport as a criteria for a positive vacation. Come to Milwaukee, especially in the winter. You will likely be off the plane and pick up your checked luggage in less than 15 minutes, no pesky tram to ride to the baggage claim area.





And if you are renting a car, I think they rent about 3 cars a day, so unless the other two people are in line in front of you, you should not have to wait to get your car.





p.s. It is not just the airport in Vegas where you will be waiting in lines. You are likely to wait in lines to get into restaurants, check into your hotel, see a show,etc. About the only place you don%26#39;t have to wait is to gamble. There always seems to be tables and slots available for immediate seating.




CO, what, no limo service from Spike?




You might want to consider Hertz Gold. It is a more expensive but it elimanates the hassle of standing in line. The Las Vegas Hertz location is the best on I%26#39;ve used and from the time get on the shuttle bus to the time I%26#39;m leaving the agency is about 15 minutes. It couldn%26#39;t be much easier.




I think all the rental car comapnies have their ';clubs'; that you can join for free and skip the line.





Alamo allowed me to pre register online and just swipe my credit card thru a self service kiosk and skip the line.





Lots of people on this forum swear by Dollar in Vegas. I rent from whoever is cheapest.

No comments:

Post a Comment