Thursday, April 19, 2012

How many of you drive to the South Rim in one day?

I was wondering how many people actually do the GC, South Rim in one day from LV? We dont%26#39; want to stay over. What are the speed limits on the highways to the GC? I have heard it takes anywhere from 4-5 hours...how come some people say 4 hours and some say up to 5?





thanks



How many of you drive to the South Rim in one day?


Did it once and am glad I did; it%26#39;s an experience you%26#39;ll never forget! BUT, I%26#39;d never do it again...too much driving for one day.....speed limit was 75 through Arizona but that was a few years ago....took us 4 1/2 hours each way....and that was without ANY stops.....still, it was very cool..like I said, glad it did it...



How many of you drive to the South Rim in one day?


I will take the helicopter or plane instead. It will be less tiring.





I%26#39;ve never done it in one day, though I%26#39;ve driven between Flagstaff and Vegas one way in one day many times and it is a leisurely drive of 5 hours with stops (about 250 miles). GC will be slightly longer.




We also drove 2 years ago, loved it but hated the drive, dh drove there and I drove back (high on red bull) while he slept, we left early around 5 and after a full day we were back in Vegas around 9. It was totally worth it for us, but if the chance came up again, I would take a helicopter ride or plan to stay a night.




I%26#39;ve done that drive in July in a truck with no a/c, but that was 20 years ago and I was young and poor. I have also done it in a Lincoln Town Car and I really wouldn%26#39;t do it again.



If it were me, I%26#39;d stay in the crappiest motel in Williams Az. just to be able to spend more time at the canyon. Believe me when I tell you, it will take your breath away and definatley not something to miss.



So I guess it comes down to you and your priorities. My vote goes to staying the night somewhere.




I did it last trip I hired a 7 seater and 7of us went, left LV at 8am (may have been closer to 9) had a good stop ofr lunch on the way there got there .30 ish left at about 4.30 had dinner at the Hacienda on the way back which was the best value meal all trip and then played a bit there. Got back to Vegas at about 10.30. Yes its tiring and yes I would do it again 7 of us went at our own pace for $12 each all in. My mother was with us who is disabled so everything we do takes a long time but we had enough time to do all the things that we wanted to do and only used a day of our Vegas time.





We are going again at Xmas but staying overnight




Listen to DrVegas abd SEW109. GC is one of the planet%26#39;s great wonders that deserves to be really experienced and savored. It%26#39;s not something to be checked off a list of things to do on a Vegas trip like it%26#39;s a hotel on the Strip.





Stay there overnight or else postpone visiting GC until you can do so and really appreciate it.




This how we did it. Left Vegas on a friday around 11am after a good breakfast. Got to GC around 4pm, rested a bit and went for Dinner at El Tovar. Stayed overnight and had a whole day on Saturday to see the sights at GC village, then went to Desert View for an amazing look at the sunset. Overnighted again, got up very early for the sunrise at Mathers point and then had breakfast after which we went back to hotel, packed and left.



Stopped at Hoover dam on the way back and were back in Vegas by 2pm, not stressed or overly tired from driving;



And it is a good way to avoid possible high room rates in Vegas on weekends.




It is quite do-able, if you get a good sleep (don%26#39;t booze the night before), get a fairly early start(8am). The roads are simple and straight, but with few places to stop and eat. Carry warmer clothing, the weather at the canyon rim is similar to that of London ON most of the time.



Get there around 1;30 pm, and a couple hours walking the S rim trails is a good canyon experience. Then have a meal outside the park at one of many restaurants just outside, and head back. The trip back will be in the dark, but route is simple, traffic not heavy.



Back to your hotel around 9 or 10, in time to get bucket of iced beers from room service, but up your feet and relax

No comments:

Post a Comment