Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Irish/UK visitors - should I lock my suitcase?

Hi all just wondering if i should put a lock on my suitcase? Is it a case of looking like I have something to hide if it is locked?





Or would you take the chance and not lock it?





Thanks!



Irish/UK visitors - should I lock my suitcase?


Hi





We never lock our cases but we always put one of those luggage straps around the case to prevent burst zips etc. You should not put anything in your case of value just incase you are unfortunate enough to have your case gone through.







Clive



Irish/UK visitors - should I lock my suitcase?


Don%26#39;t lock it - if US Customs want to look inside they%26#39;ll have to force it open. I think you can buy %26#39;approved%26#39; locks at the airport that they have a pass key to.



I never lock my checked in luggage, and I%26#39;ve never had any problems...




We always lock our cases but have nothing to hide.




You shoudld not lock hold luggae to the US, I use cable ties I dont know why as you can cut them but thats what I use now




A friend in Australia works for the Customs service she told me to never lock my bags when travelling...especially the Samsonite type bags with the built in combination locks....





I haven%26#39;t locked my suitcase for about 10 years when flying....and I%26#39;ve never had anything stolen...and we have packed dvd%26#39;s, cd%26#39;s, shopping items, new clothes, shoes, books, souvineers etc, things that would be a sinch to nick...we even brought back a PS3 last year in our luggage and it has all made it just fine every trip.





If Customs or Quarantine need to get into your case for a search they WILL bust the lock, or zip or whatever it is that is preventing them from searching the contents of your bag.





There is 1 type of lock that is approved for travel to the USA which can be opened by customs and it doesnt get ruined...the name escapes me now...maybe someone else might know...but I find it easier to just leave it unlocked and ready to be searched if it needs to be. They will put a note in your suitcase saying it has been searched by Customs...I have only had 1 of these notes in the last 10 years. A large bottle of Vodka caused that problem.





Dont worry about getting your belongings nicked...its pretty unlikely to ever happen. It is better to give Customs and Quarantine free reign to search your luggage and you can be on your way...rather than have your case busted and have to deal with that.





shirl%26#39;




Here is what tsa approved locks look like:



tsa.gov/travelers/…locks.shtm





I use them often. Twice they have been removed from my luggage. There was no indication they searched my luggage but the locks were gone when I got my luggage back.





I did use them last year and security did open the suitcase. I had bottles of liquor wrapped in bubblewrap in the suitcase. The bubblewrap was slit open on all the bottles and one bottle was missing. But they did relock the locks. A paper was put in the suitcase to indicate they had searched it.





If the tsa wants to open your luggage- they will open it any way they have to. If it means they have to break the locks or even ruin your luggage- they will do it.




if you want to lock your luggage use a TSA approved lock - many different styles available from places like www.travelsmith.com and other travel websites, also ebay might have them. easy, cheap and secure




I%26#39;ve never locked my suitcases, and I never put valuables in them.




besides travelsmith here some other approved locks



masterlocktsa.com/apps/tsa/tsa-approved.jsp




The last two times I used the ';TSA approved locks,'; they were cut off by TSA. I%26#39;ve quit using them for that reason on checked luggage.





I do use them on my carry-on luggage. Of course, I remove them when I go through security. However, they do give me a sense of security from pilfering hands when I%26#39;m sitting around waiting on the plane and not paying attention to my luggage under the chair or elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment